The Patriarchal Monastery of Agia Triada Tsagarolon is one of the most important monasteries of the end of the Venetian Empire in Crete with a great contribution to the History and Education of the island. It is located on the foot of Stavros mountain chain, in the area "Tzompomilos" of Meleha cape.
Gouverneto Monastery or Lady of Angels
Gouverneto Monastery or Lady of Angels is one of the oldest monasteries of Crete and constitutes a sample of orthodoxe monasterial architecture. It was built in 1537 in altitude of 260 metres by monks of the Catholic church that abandoned the place due to piracy.
Monastery of Agios Ioannis Prodromos at Korakies
The monastery of Timios Prodromos is located in Korakies of Akrotiri. It is a historical woman's cloth monastery that is known to local people as the monastery of nuns. The monastery was destroyed many times by the different conquerors of Crete and thus the valuable files that could help for the precise dating of the monastery were lost.
Monastery of Chrysopigi
The Patriarchal Monastery of Chrysopigi was founded in Chania during the last period of the Venetian Period (end of 16th century) and is dedicated to Panagia Zoodocho Pigi. Every year come thousands of pilgrims from Greece and the abroad to kneel the miraculous icon of Panagia.
Chryssoskalitissa Monastery is dedicated to the Virgin Mary and is highly admired by all visitors. The monastery rises on a rock, 35 meters altitude above the sea. Within the walls of the monastery lies the icon of the Virgin, which is said that counts more than a thousand years. Outside Kolymbari you will find the Monastery of Gonia, an old 17th century complex in the middle of a beautiful lush green forest. It is still active and also exhibits a fine collection of post-Byzantine icons and treasury of holy relics.
Cathedral of Eisodion tis Theotokou
At the centre of Chania, dominates the historical Trimartiri, the Cathedral Temple of Chania, the Temple of Eisodion of Theotokos. The Temple of Eisodion, as Cathedral and Metropolitan and Protector of the City, concentrates the religious, oblative and generally devotional interest of godly population of Chania. The Church is dedicated to the Annunciation of the Virgin Mary and the construction of this church was completed in 1860.
Church of Agios Nikolaos
East of Splatzia Square of the old city of Chania is located the church of Agios Nikolaos, which was built before 1320, during the Venetian Period, as monastery of Dominican Order. During the Venetian period it constituted the most important church of the city.
Catholic Church of Saint Francis
The Catholic Church of Saint Francis is the largest Venetian church of the town. Later, the Turks transformed it into a mosque and now it houses the Archaeological Museum of Chania.